About this property
Raised ground floor:
Sitting room, Study, Kitchen
Drawing room, Dining room, Bedroom suite with shower room
Principal bedroom suite, Utility room
Bedroom suite, 2 further bedrooms, Bathroom
Lower ground floor:
Flat 1: studio apartment with shower room
Flat 2: 1 bedroom, kitchen/reception room, shower room
Flat 3: 1 bedroom, sitting room, kitchen, bathroom
Flat 4: 1 bedroom, kitchen/sitting room, shower room
Built in the 1820’s, this exceptional, Grade I listed house was one of the first properties designed by renowned Regency architect, Charles Busby. Along with others in this particular terrace, the house was used as a showhouse for the rest of the Brunswick Estate. As a result, the house includes a full range of details not found in other homes on the development. The proportions and architectural detail encapsulate the fashions of the Regency era; hinting at extravagance and the desire and capacity for formal entertaining. Angel House has enjoyed a unique and interesting history. Its custodians include Z Cars actress, Sidonie Bond, who lived in the house in the 1960s, and author, Nigel Richardson, who wrote Breakfast in Brighton whilst living at the property in the late 90s. The current owner first rented the house, using it as a creative community space, before buying it and painstakingly restoring it over a three year period. The property has since hosted weddings, editorial photo shoots and elements of the Brighton Festival.
This carefully restored property is a piece of Brighton’s history, offering the combination of architectural heritage, voluminous internal space, sea views and beautifully presented interiors. The raised ground and upper floors of the property afford splendid principal reception spaces and an impressive principal bedroom suite, characterised by generous ceiling height and floor to ceiling windows that maximise the iconic sea view. There is access from the kitchen down to the courtyard garden, which can also be accessed at lower ground level. On the upper floors there are four further double bedrooms, two shower rooms and a bathroom. The lower ground floor of the property, which has its own access, is on a separate lease and is currently arranged as four flats, each with its own council tax and services. These are currently let on Assured Shorthold Tenancies. The lower ground floor area has direct access into the courtyard garden from the communal corridor. There are two store rooms at lower ground floor level, which are useful for bikes and bulky items.
- 1 Brunswick Terrace is located in the Brunswick Town Conservation Area, on the old boundary between Brighton and Hove, most clearly marked by the King Edward Peace Statue which straddles the border and is visible from the windows of Angel House. Brighton beach is immediately opposite the property. Staggered along the beach are numerous cafes and places to sit and enjoy the sea views and city backdrop. Within half a mile (0.8 km) of the property there is a plethora of coffee shops, supermarkets, restaurants and boutiques. The popular shopping districts of The Lanes and North Laine are within 1.2 miles (2 km) of the property. Brighton Station, which is approximately 1.2 miles (2 km) from Angel House, has services to London Victoria and London Bridge from 60 minutes, via Gatwick Airport.
- Brighton and Hove is a thriving seaside city, with a rich tapestry of interesting architecture and superb educational and lifestyle opportunities. It is a vibrant centre for culture, creativity, education, the arts and entertainment There is an excellent range of highly regarded state and independent schools in the area, including; Cardinal Newman, St Christopher’s prep school, Brighton College, Kings Brighton and Brighton and Hove High School (GDST) and Roedean. The University of Brighton and University of Sussex provide excellent further education opportunities.
- All distances and journey times are approximate.
- Council Brighton and Hove
- Council Tax Band House is band H. Flats 1-4 are band A
- Services Mains gas, mains electricity and mains water. The flats have separate services.
- Tenure Freehold. The upper maisonette is leasehold [Lease from 21/07/2006 to 24/06/2131] . The lower ground floor maisonette is leasehold [Lease from 21/07/2006 to 24/06/2131]
- EPC Exempt
- Tenure: Freehold
- Council Tax Band: H