About this property
66 North Street is an impressive terraced house with a dressed stone front facing façade and exposed stone on the south elevation facing into the garden.
The house has been previously used as offices by The University of St Andrews. It has three principal floors with a basement below. There is a lovely wall hung staircase in the heart of the building with generous halls and four principal rooms on each floor. The basement has exposed stone walls and contains the central heating boiler and old laundry sinks. It has its own outside door into the garden.
The garden is south facing with a balcony over the basement well. A footpath sweeps between shrub beds and continues down a lane, past neighbouring properties to the cobbled part of Market Street.
The sellers have obtained planning permission to convert the building back into a luxury dwelling:
23/00716/LBC | Listed Building Consent for extensions and alterations to dwellinghouse | 66 North Street St Andrews Fife KY16 9AH.
These plans rationalise the layout as a luxury house. A new kitchen / dining room will be created on the ground floor with a link to a superb, new living room extension to be built in the garden. This room will have a roof light, and extensive windows to maximise the natural daylight and the option of a glass covered walk over wine cellar below.
There will be five bedrooms and six bath or shower rooms in total. The principal bedroom suite on the top floor will be utterly magnificent with full width windows looking out over North Street, walk in wardrobes either side, a large bathroom and separate sitting room overlooking the garden with a south facing balcony outside.
The basement will have a gym, study and shower room with an outside door into the garden. This gives the option for the basement to be used as a self-contained apartment for staff or guests.
- 66 North Street has a prime setting in central St Andrews. It is towards the Cathedral end of North Street and is opposite the University. St Salvator’s Quadrangle, where many University functions take place, and the Younger Hall are opposite and St Salvator’s Chapel a short way along. The University of St Andrews is one of the oldest in Britain (founded in 1413) and attracts students from all over the world.
- The property is well placed for access to all the facilities in central St Andrews. The town has a good range of shops, hotels, restaurants and supermarkets, a cinema and the Byre Theatre. The Scores, which is the cliff top street which leads to the West Sands Beach, runs parallel.
- St Andrews is renowned worldwide as the home of golf. There are now seven golf courses at St Andrews including the Old Course, which was host to the 150th Open Championship in 2022. There are many other golf courses in the area including The Duke’s Course, two courses at Fairmont, St Andrews Bay, Kingsbarns, Crail and Elie.
- St Andrews has several primary schools and state secondary schooling at Madras College and private co-educational schooling at St Leonards. Dundee High School is within easy reach.
- Beyond St Andrews is the East Neuk of Fife with its spectacular coastline which boasts fishing villages built around picturesque harbours and sandy unspoilt beaches. Leuchars railway station (5 miles) is on the main Aberdeen to London line and connects to Dundee and Edinburgh. Edinburgh Airport, with its range of domestic and international flights, is 50 miles away.
- Viewings: Strictly by appointment with Savills – 0131 247 3738.
- Solicitor: Kenneth McLaren, Dentons, 1 George Square, Glasgow, G2 1AL. Email: Kenneth.McLaren@dentons.com
- Tel: 0141 271 5767. Mobile: 0792 002 8460
- Services: Mains water, drainage, electricity and gas. Central heating and hot water from gas fired boiler.
- Local Authority & tax band: 66 North Street is currently rated as a commercial premises with a rateable value of £22,800. Fife Council will assign a residential Council Tax Band when the property is converted to residential use.
- Conservation Area and Listing: 66 North Street is Listed Category C and is in the St Andrews Conservation Area.
- Access: There is a servitude right of access over the footpath to Market Street.
- Directions: Take the A91 into St Andrews and continue straight on along North Street. No 66 is situated on the right hand side towards the far end.
- EPC Rating: D