About this property
Steventon House is an elegant Grade II listed Georgian house built in 1810 by Jane Austen’s brother, with white stucco elevations, relieved by elegant sash windows under a slate roof. The house is set in a prominent and elevated position with beautiful views across the gardens and parkland beyond. The approach to the house is via an attractive tree-lined drive, flanked by an impressive variety of mature trees, which passes by the cottage and leads to a gravel parking area in front of the house.
The house has been extensively and beautifully refurbished to the highest standards, further enhancing the exceptional quality of Steventon House. The accommodation comprises well proportioned and elegant reception rooms, suitably arranged for entertaining, with an array of fine period features including fireplaces with decorative stone and carved wood surrounds.
High ceilings with delicate cornices and sash windows along with period hardwood floors give the rooms enormous character. The kitchen/breakfast room is extremely well appointed with bespoke fitted units and high quality finishes.
Jane Austen lived on the property from 1775 until 1800 where her father was Rector for more than forty years, although nothing now remains of the rectory in which the family lived. While there Jane Austen wrote Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey during what has been described as the most tranquil period of her life, which ended when her father retired to Bath in 1801.
The land came into the Austen family through Jane’s elder brother, Edward, who, in 1812, took the surname of Thomas Knight of Chawton, his benefactor. Knight died childless in 1794 leaving the property on his widow’s death to his cousin Edward, third son of the Reverend George Austen who had become Rector of St. Nicholas’ through the Knight influence. In 1855 Edward Austen sold the property to the second Duke of Wellington.
The existing house remained as the Rectory until 1930 when the parishes of North Waltham and Steventon amalgamated.
The 13th Century parish church of St. Nicholas’ stands within a mile of the house and remains essentially unaltered by Victorian restoration and is still much the same as Jane Austen knew it.
An attractive staircase ascends from the reception hall to the first floor landing, leading to the principal bedrooms – all of which benefit from adjoining bathrooms and delightful views over the grounds, the master bedroom and ensuite bathroom are exceptional and benefit from a superb dressing room with extensive fitted wardrobes. Three further bedooms and a family bathroom are located in the north east wing.
On the second floor there are three further attic rooms providing additional space. A comprehensive cellar is reached via stairs in the hall and comprises several stores and a temperature controlled wine cellar.
The accommodation is shown in further detail by the floor plans enclosed within the brochure.
To the rear of the house is an elegant, brick-built coach house with space to accommodate 2 cars, garden machinery, and stables.
Gardens and Grounds
To the front of the house the garden is terraced and mainly laid to lawn with steps leading down to a grass circle surrounded by pretty cherry trees and over looking the paddocks and parkland beyond.
To the rear, steps lead up to a spectacular formal walled garden. At the foot of the tall brick walls forming the perimeter of the garden is a well stocked border with pretty yew seating enclosures interspersed evenly throughout the border. A beautiful wisteria walk runs centrally to a gate at the far end, which provides access to the hard tennis court.
Leading off from the middle of the wisteria walk is a rose walk, beyond which, is a wrought iron gate to a magnificent rose garden.
Within the walled garden is a beautifully position heated swimming pool with changing and shower room. An attractive terraced seating and dining area is positioned to one end of the pool and enjoys the seclusion and magnificence of the impressive walled gardens.
To the west of the walled garden is a green house, kitchen garden and an extensive wild flower ride through the trees to the bottom of the drive.
A pretty two bedroom cottage is located at the bottom of the drive and has an excellent kitchen, dining room, sitting room and utility room. The attractive garden is very spacious with a drive and parking area to the side of the house. The accommodation is displayed in detail by the floor plans enclosed within the brochure.
- Steventon House is an impressive family house built in the early
- 19th century, superbly located and beautifully positioned on the
- edge of the desirable and picturesque village of Steventon.
- The property is well situated for Basingstoke (7 miles) and the
- City of Winchester (15 miles), providing an extensive range of
- services and recreational facilities including, golf courses fishing on
- the River Test and River Dever and excellent walking in the
- surrounding countryside of the Hampshire Downs.
- Steventon is ideally located to benefit from the excellent
- communications to London and the South Coast provided by the
- M3 accessed at Junction 7 (4 miles), and A303 at Junction 8 for
- the west country.
- Excellent mainline rail services to London Waterloo are offered at
- nearby Basingstoke and Micheldever in approximately 45 minutes
- and 55 minutes respectively.
- Owing to the location of the property and excellent transport
- links nearby, there is convenient access to numerous renowned
- schools including; Cheam, Horris Hill, Ludgrove, Cothill, Elstree,
- Winchester, Eton, Downe House and St Swithun’s.
- EPC Rating: G
- Tenure: Freehold
- Council Tax Band: H