About this property
21 Heriot Row is a magnificent original double upper apartment offering wonderfully light and beautifully proportioned accommodation, extending to over 3300 sq ft, set on the second and third floors of an impressive Georgian block on the corner of Heriot Row and Howe Street. With predominantly south and east aspects, there is an abundance of light for much of the day, as well as a delightful southerly outlook to Queen Street Gardens. The property has been successfully modernised in recent times yet retains much of its original charm with a variety of delightful period features, including the impressive mantelpieces, beautiful cornicing, working shutters, astragal windows and the original internal stair with wrought iron balustrades and mahogany banister.
The stair from the ground floor entrance is shared with one other property, and rises to the second floor where the flat is entered into a generous and welcoming reception hall, from where the principal living and reception space is accessed and the stair rises to the bedroom accommodation on the upper floor. The elegant drawing room is situated to the front of the property, with two south facing windows making it incredibly bright, and with a lovely outlook. The home office is adjacent, and also faces south. The dining kitchen is a particularly fine room with a beautifully appointed and practical kitchen and spacious dining area, making it an ideal room for both informal dining and for entertaining. The family room is accessed directly from the kitchen, with a rear hallway leading back to the central hall, and is a wonderfully cosy space with a wood burning stove. In addition there is a cloakroom with WC.
The stair rises to the upper floor where there are five generous double bedrooms. The principal bedroom is situated to the rear of the property and faces east, benefiting from the morning light. There is a generous dressing room off, as well as a luxurious en suite shower room. One of the bedrooms to the front of the property is currently used as a second home office, while there is a family bath and shower room, and an additional shower room, which serve the other bedrooms. There is also a utility room on this floor.
The property also benefits from two cellars, one of which is under the pavement while the other is in the basement. Proprietors are entitled to pay a modest annual fee in return for a key to the fabulous West Queen Street Gardens, a glorious open green space with a wide variety of mature and colourful trees.
- Heriot Row is located in the heart of Edinburgh’s New Town which was built in the late 18th and early 19th century to a layout based on plans by James Craig.
- The street was completed by 1808 as part of the development by the Earl of Moray.
- Overlooking Queen Street Gardens the property is within a few hundred metres of Princes Street and is particularly well located for all amenities in the city centre with excellent shopping in George Street and a lovely selection of small boutiques, restaurants and bars in nearby Stockbridge.
- The main financial centre is situated less than a mile away in the West End, as are the Tram terminus and both Waverley and Haymarket train stations.
- Many of the city’s schools are also located within a mile or two, including The Edinburgh Academy, George Heriots, Erskine Stewart’s Melville Schools and Fettes College.
- Listing – The property is Category A listed and lies within the New Town Conservation Area
- Fixtures and Fittings – all fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings and white goods are included in the sale
- Council Tax – Band H
- EPC Rating: D
- Tenure: Freehold
- Council Tax Band: H