About this property
The Chapel of Nossa Senhora de El Carmen, known simply as El Carmen, is located in the western part of the Arrábida mountain range.
According to Frei Agostinho de Santa Maria, this sanctuary was ordered to be built by D. Madalena Giron, 2nd Duchess of Aveiro, in 1560. Chapel of Santa Maria do Carmo, place of annual pilgrimage can be read in the publication.
The El Carmen Palace is a historic building and was built in 1534. For several years, the space hosted private events, especially weddings and baptisms. It has two main halls, with capacity for about 200 people, a smaller room.
The Palacete has 3,200m2 of private gross area and 16,750m2 of land. It develops on 2 floors, being:
- 3 salons
- 6 bedrooms
- Kitchen pantry
- social bathroom
- storage areas
- 3 large suites
- storage area
There is also a house attached to the Palacete with bedrooms and bathrooms.
This property has enormous potential for recovery for those who want to live in, or invest in, a unique and historic property.
- Located by the sea, between Setúbal and the fishing village of Sesimbra, the Arrábida Natural Park has an incomparable beauty, in which the blue of the sea alternates with the whitish tones of the limestone cliffs and with the green of the dense vegetation covering the Mountain range.
- The plant richness is one of the biggest attractions of the Park. Here is one of the rare examples of Mediterranean maquis in Portugal and its preservation was one of the reasons why Arrábida was considered a true international scientific relic. In order for it to remain intact, access to some areas is only possible with a Guide indicated by the Park Headquarters. There are also several accredited companies that organize extreme activities, such as caving, diving and climbing.
- If you want to know more about the fauna and flora, visit the Oceanographic Museum, located in the Forte de Nossa Senhora da Arrábida, next to Praia do Portinho. Almost in front, you can see Pedra da Anixa, a small islet that constitutes a zoological reserve due to its underwater vegetation.
- In addition to Serra da Arrábida, the Park encompasses other elevations such as Serra do Risco, where the highest point on the Portuguese mainland coast is located. It is a magnificent 380-meter high cliff, which plunges into the sea from where you can enjoy an unforgettable panoramic view over the Atlantic.
- The meeting of the mountains with the sea created a string of beaches with fine sand and transparent waters that we would think we would only find in the Mediterranean, such as Figueirinha, Galapos and Portinho da Arrábida.
- Preferred by the Franciscan friars who, between the 16th and 19th centuries, inhabited the still-existing Convent and meditated in the isolated chapels scattered throughout the Serra, Arrábida has excellent conditions for agriculture and pastoralism that give rise to high quality products. Of particular note are the wines that you can discover following the Costa Azul Wine Route, which takes you to the friendly village of Azeitão where you can try delicious cheeses.
- EPC RATING = C