About this property
Cluniehill is a substantial contemporary family home extending to over 6500 square feet in total, set in mature and extensive grounds of just over 0.5 acres. The property has been cleverly designed to take advantage of natural light throughout the day with predominantly south facing aspects to the majority of rooms. Designed and built in 2007 by award winning local architects CDA for the current owners, the house offers the very best contemporary living space, ideally suited to modern family living. Of particular note are the interlinking south facing rooms fronting onto the garden, which include the principal sitting room, the double height dining area and kitchen and the family room. While each room cleverly opens to the next, they can be easily separated, giving flexibility for more open plan living, or separate spaces. The property is well equipped with CAT 5 cabling to the majority of rooms, as well as an integrated music and speaker system.
The front door opens to the entrance vestibule where there is a large storage cupboard housing all the network cabling and under floor heating manifolds. A further door opens to the welcoming hall, from where the main living accommodation is accessed. To the west side of the house is the music room which could be used as a more formal drawing room, music room or dining room, while facing south and with glorious vistas of the mature garden is the sitting room with a feature fire place with gas living flame fire as well as windows to the south and west. Double doors, which can be left open or closed, lead through to the open plan dining area and kitchen which is a fabulous double height room with two sets of sliding glazed doors opening to the south facing terrace. It is a particularly bright, spacious and impressive room. A further set of double doors open to the adjacent family room, which is an ideal space for children. Also on the ground floor are the practical utility room, a shower room, a home office and a further cloakroom with WC. A door at the eastern end of the hallway opens into the integral triple garage.
The impressive stair rises to the first floor where there are five generous double bedrooms. The principal bedroom suite spans the whole width of the house, with a luxurious en suite bath and shower room, a superb dressing room with extensive wardrobe space and a beautifully proportioned bedroom, with glazed sliding doors opening to the south facing balcony. The views over the garden from here are delightful. Bedrooms two and three are also generous in proportion and benefit from en suite bathrooms, while there is a further family bathroom which serves bedrooms four and five, which are again comfortable double rooms. All these bedrooms benefit from built-in wardrobes with excellent storage space.
A superb floating stair continues to the second floor where there is an exceptional games room which has also been used as a home cinema and gym. To the other side of the landing is a further room which could very easily be used as a further bedroom if required, but currently provides extensive storage.
The house is set in wonderfully colourful and mature garden grounds of just over 0.5 acres, and is set to the north of the site to maximise the south facing nature of the garden. A pedestrian gate opens from Hermitage Drive to a stone path leading to the covered front door, while electric gates opening to the generous parking area providing off-street parking for a number of cars, and leading to the triple garage. There are three separate electric up and over doors with plenty space for modern vehicles inside the garage, as well as a workshop and space for gym equipment. The garage also has direct access into the house.
There are a wide variety of mature plants, shrubs and trees around the grounds with a hedge providing excellent screening around the perimeter. The large and impressive lawn extends from the terrace to the rear of the house, spanning the width of the plot and sweeping around the sides of the house. There are colourful herbaceous borders with a range of delightful plants as well as mature shrubs and trees.
- Hermitage Drive is a highly sought after street with a fine selection of handsome houses in generous and well screened gardens.
- Situated around 2.5 miles south of Princes Street, the property lies within the popular residential district of Morningside.
- There are excellent local shops, bistros and bars in Morningside and Bruntsfield, including a Waitrose, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s and Tesco, as well as cultural amenities including the King’s Theatre and Dominion Cinema.
- Local sporting facilities include a number of golf courses and there are beautiful local walks in the open spaces of The Braids and The Hermitage while the Pentland Hills are within a couple of miles.
- The property is ideally located for access to the financial district in the West End as well as The Haymarket, The Gyle, Gogarburn and Edinburgh Park.
- George Watson’s is within a mile, and a number of other schools, including George Heriot’s, Merchiston and Boroughmuir High School, are also nearby.
- The city bypass is within a couple of miles, providing excellent access to the airport and the Central Scotland motorway network.
- Listing – The property is not listed but lies within the Morningside Conservation Area
- Fixtures and fittings – all fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings and integrated white goods are included in the sale.
- EPC Rating = B
- Tenure = Freehold