About this property
Alscot Lodge is an attractive Grade II listed regency house, situated within a conservation area with attractive gardens and grounds extending to just over five acres including a double garage, swimming pool, lake and equestrian facilities along with a separate, four bedroom coach house.
The house has been sympathetically refurbished retaining the original character and charm with elegant, well-proportioned rooms offering high ceilings and plenty of natural light with many of the period features remaining including handsome fireplaces and sash windows with shutters. There is a contemporary extension boasting an impressive garden room, utility room and boot room with underfloor heating providing modern day, family living. The accommodation flows effortlessly across two floors.
The front door opens to a spacious entrance hall with a solid chestnut wood floor. The drawing room enjoys views out over the rolling garden at the back of the house down to the lake, whilst the dining room looks out over the formal garden. Both have French doors outside. The morning room, currently utilised as a study, has bespoke fitted cupboards and a dual aspect. The kitchen is a bespoke design with two central islands, an electric Aga with a companion, French doors opening to an east facing courtyard and a utility room off, with further fitted cupboards and units, a boot room and informal access outside. From the kitchen, steps lead down into the contemporary garden/ family room with floor to ceiling glass doors giving panoramic views of the gardens. These open to the terrace making it a wonderful entertaining space.
The staircase rises to the first floor from which the four bedrooms flow. The principal bedroom suite boasts fine views over the garden, lake and woodland beyond with a spacious dressing room off and an en suite bathroom with a freestanding roll top bath and a separate shower. There are three further bedrooms including two double rooms and a family bathroom. Bedroom 4 has been reconfigured to provide a versatile living space with original oak floorboards, an en suite shower room, a walk in dressing room and can be accessed by a secondary staircase which descends to the utility room.
Alscot Lodge has cellarage, comprising a wine store and plant room.
THE OLD COACH HOUSE
The Old Coach House is accessed from gates off Alscot Lane. There is also pedestrian access from Alscot Lodge into the gravelled courtyard.
The property comprises a sitting room with a wood burning stove and a kitchen fully fitted with a range of cupboards and units including a microwave and an oven. The conservatory has the original wall with exposed bricks, limestone flooring with underfloor heating and provides a link to two ground floor
bedrooms, one with an en suite shower room and a study. A staircase from the sitting room leads to the first floor where there are two further bedrooms and a bathroom.
GARDENS AND GROUNDS
Alscot Lodge is approached through electric gates over a gravel driveway which sweeps through mature woodland to reveal the handsome house which has a turning circle in front. The gardens and grounds provide an idyllic setting for Alscot Lodge.
To the south west of the house is a formal garden surrounded by mixed borders and yew hedging, with box bordered rose beds to the centre. The principal garden is to the north west and is predominantly laid to lawn with a magnificent lake fed by the Crowbrook Stream attracting a variety of wildlife. There is mature woodland beyond providing a sheltered boundary.
The heated swimming pool is situated within a private, walled garden with well stocked, herbaceous borders and an array of fruit trees including quince, apple and medlar. To the east of the house is a wonderful and established kitchen garden with raised vegetable beds and a good selection of fruit bushes and trees. There is also a large greenhouse.
The spacious terrace can be accessed via stone steps from the drawing room, or from the garden room, and provides a versatile entertaining and alfresco dining space with fine views across the grounds under the canopy of a mature magnolia grandiflora.
OUTBUILDINGS AND EQUESTRIAN FACILITIES
Alscot Lodge benefits from a spacious double garage set back from the main house. There is a good range of workshops and garden equipment store rooms.
For those seeking an equestrian property, Alscot Lodge provides excellent equestrian facilities including a timber built stable yard, with 4 stables and additional stores. Beyond, is a sand based manege enclosed by post and rail fencing.
- Alscot Lodge enjoys a wonderful semi rural position offering country living with a convenient commute to London. The property is well located to take full advantage of the beautiful Chilterns countryside, an area of outstanding natural beauty, providing a wealth of opportunities for walking, riding and cycling.
- There are an array of pretty villages and inns in the area. The popular market town of Princes Risborough has an excellent range of shopping, recreational and leisure facilities. There is a mainline train service to London Marylebone providing a fast and frequent service (from about 35 minutes). The M40 motorway (J4 and J5) gives easy access to London and the M25 and M4 motorways. The historic market town of Thame also provides a range of shops and amenities.
- Sporting facilities nearby include Ellesborough and Princes Risborough golf clubs, The Oxfordshire Golf Hotel and Spa, as well as Horsenden Lawn, Princes Risborough and Halton tennis clubs. Aylesbury Waterside Theatre has a dynamic schedule of West End productions, comedians and childrens shows. The Garsington Opera is about 9 miles away hosting events throughout the summer.
- Buckinghamshire is renowned for its choice and standard of schooling, both within the state and private sector, as the county is one of the last to maintain the traditional grammar school system. These include the Royal Grammar School in High Wycombe for boys, Aylesbury Grammar School and for girls, Wycombe High School and Aylesbury High School. Nearby private schools include The Griffin preparatory school at Great Kimble, as well as The Beacon, The Gateway, Pipers Corner, Godstowe Preparatory and Wycombe Abbey. Princes Risborough has a number of nursery and primary schools in addition to a secondary school and St Teresa’s, an independent Catholic school.
- Princes Risborough 0.9 miles (trains to London Marylebone in about 35 minutes) Thame 6.8 miles, M40 (J6) 6 miles M40 (J4) 10 miles Heathrow (T5) 31 miles Central London (Baker Street) 38 miles (All distances and times are approximate).
- Directions: Directions From Princes Risborough, take the A4129 towards Thame. Continue for just under one mile and the property will be found on your right hand side at the top of Alscot Lane.
- EPC Exempt
- Tenure = Freehold